Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Fuel consumption of Tesla model 3 in Malaysia (if it used gas)

It is outright mind boggling how complicated people make it out there on how to compare fuel efficiency of electrical vehicles (EV) to petrol cars.

I'll attempt to calculate the costs of owning a Tesla Model 3 electric vehicle (EV) in Malaysia as simple as possible.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Tesla model 3 has a 75KwH battery and a range of about 500 km.  Tenaga charges 38.2 sen per KwH.  

75KwH *38.2 sen = RM28 for 500 km of range.  


However as I understand, the Tesla model 3 charges at 80% efficiency, so we need 93 kwH of power to charge the 75 KwH battery of the Tesla. The new price for a full charge is:

 93 KwH * 38.2 sen = RM 35 to get 500 km of range.

What is this in cost per 100km?

Roughly about RM7 to get 100 km of range in Malaysia.


At RM 2.20 per litre of petrol, the equivalent fuel effeciency of a Tesla Model 3 EV is 3.18 L/100 kM.


If you drive a Toyota Prius Hybrid, you would get about 4.5-5L/100 km.  A Vios 1.6L gets about 7.5 L/100 km.

Roughly, you would save 50 percent on your petrol bill if you were driving a Tesla vs a Toyota Vios.

If you were driving a Honda Accord or BMW which likely got 10 L/100km, you would be saving 70 percent off your petrol bill.

Is it worth it?

Yes in most cases, but the argument becomes tougher vs a hybrid car.  Petrol cars have their  unique advantage in that they do not need to be charged.  If you ask me, a hybrid car may be the way of the future.  The ability to run on petrol is really a luxury as there is no need to wait to charge your car.

The costs are about 23% more expensive  than a pure Electric car.  But at 15000 KM per year, equates to RM31 per month extra paid.

I think about a phone when I think about things I have to charge.  When a phone runs out of battery, I can still bring it around with me until I find a place to charge.  When a car runs out of battery, I won't be able to bring that thing around.

I think it is worth that RM31 per month for that peace of mind a hybrid car brings vs a full electric car.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP